Cristiano Ronaldo insists he rejected ‘many opportunities’ from European clubs
However, Cristiano Ronaldo has instead signed a £175m-a-year deal at Al-Nassr that will keep him at the club through to 2025, a move that will also see him play a role in trying to bring the 2030 World Cup to Saudi Arabia.
Speaking at a press conference at Mrsool Park Stadium, Al-Nassr’s home ground, Cristiano Ronaldo insisted his move to the Middle East was not due to a lack of options in Europe.
“I can say now I had many opportunities in Europe, many clubs in Brazil, Australia, USA, even in Portugal many tried to sign me,” he said.
“But I gave my word to this club not only to develop the club, but the country. I know what I want, but I also know what I don’t want.”
Cristiano Ronaldo could potentially make his debut for the club on Thursday against Al Ta’ee, having completed his medical ahead of being unveiled to the thousands of supporters in attendance at the stadium.
Explaining his decision to move to Saudi Arabia, the forward revealed he was going in search of a “new challenge” after believing he had achieved everything he needed to in Europe.
“So far I’m feeling very good,” Ronaldo said. “I’m so proud to make this decision in my life.
“In Europe my work is done. I won everything, I played at the most important clubs and for me now it is a new challenge in Asia.
He added: “I’m a unique player, I beat all the records there [Europe], so I want to beat a few here. This contract is unique, because I’m unique, so this is normal.”